Clarifying the Adjuster and Contractor Roles
The Department of Insurance (DOI) wants to educate consumers on the role of adjusters in the claim process … and is looking for carriers to help. The DOI released a bulletin last week that encourages carriers to:
- Develop disclosures and other policyholder-communication materials about adjusters
- Use company and independent adjusters who are trained to explain how their services compare to a public adjuster's services
- Verify the license of those acting as public adjusters
- Communicate with their sales, marketing, and distribution teams about the role of adjusters in the claims process
- Be aware of potentially fraudulent activities that may arise during a claim
The bulletin goes on to reiterate the rules and regulations for those who do and do not hold a Delaware public adjuster license.